Monday 1 June 2015

Filmmaker’s ‘Wild’ Confession







Author of “Confessions of a Wildlife Filmmaker”, When I first got into television in the early 1980s, I brought home a film on bears my colleagues and I had just completed to show my wife, Gail. She loved it. She particularly liked the shot of a grizzly bear stepping through a stream. The sun was dappling on its back and water could be heard dripping off its paws.
Gail asked me how we got the shot and I told her we used a powerful telescopic lens. Then she asked how we got the sound. I had to admit that my talented sound guy had filled a basin full of water, ruffled it with his hand and elbow, recorded the splashes he made, and matched those sounds to the footage.
Gail was shocked. “You’re a big fake” she said. I’d made a documentary and she expected authenticity and truth.

No comments:

Post a Comment